Capitol Reef National Park

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Eureka in Flames Introduction and Shout Out. I'm officially going to print!

I can’t remember a time in my last thirty years when I didn’t write. Originally, this was bad poetry and prose, which is similar to how many young people begin to write. Fortunately, that ended, and now every single page I once wrote is shredded. Frankly, that was as cathartic as writing my feelings. I must say they’re both good things.
Eventually, my writing became stories of travel and hiking as well as introspective understanding of who I was. Since that was too personal to sell, I chose to write fiction, embracing my post-literary interests of the paranormal, travel, baseball, and American culture to create something I could be proud of. Now that I have put my finishing touches on this, my first book, it feels incredible to be able to look back on the things that have gotten me to this place where I can publish my first book.
First and foremost is the love and support of family and friends. Whether they be the family I’ve found along the way (my wonderful wife, Heather) or my parents + sister and the rest of my extended family (especially my Gram, who let me build forts in her apartment as well as to play with my Star Wars figures at her place every weekend of my youth – rest in peace), I’ve always been able to be lost in other worlds of daydreams and fantasy.
Quite simply, from an early age, I was encouraged and allowed to be imaginative. This led me to Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, V, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Independence Day, Altered States, Contact, The Mummy (the Brendan Fraser one), Creature Double Feature, Ancient Aliens, The Conjuring, A Haunting, Signs, Monsters and Mysteries in America, Jaws, and a lot of other science fiction / aliens / ghost stuff as well as great action movies like Die Hard and the Asian cinema of John Woo and Chow Yun Fat. This is not to forget the myriad of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and Norris action movies in my formative years (not to mention one too many viewings of the original Red Dawn).
In addition, music is a big part of who I am as a writer and person. From my earliest days with Billy Joel to Iron Maiden to Neutral Milk Hotel to the Polyphonic Spree to the Misfits to Phish to Jack Johnson to Okkervil River to Jay Z to The Hold Steady to Slayer, songs have always inspired me to sing along and to move on through. My mp3 player ranges from cheesy pop songs by Taylor Swift to metal music by King Diamond. There’s a time and place for everything, and frankly, I wouldn’t want to live in a world without music of every genre. Simply stated, I could have never written this book with bad music or silence. For this, I do name check songs, bands, and literary things to get other people interested in them as well. Support your favorite artists.
Along the way, I have also had many great teachers who allowed me to grow as a writer, teacher, and person with their style and willingness to take on my honors contracts and personal discussions (Ron Borkert, Bill Harst, Dave Leight, Susan Hartman, and Eric Wolf come to mind). With them, I was able to do many great projects and learn so much more than I would have if I didn’t participate in class actively. Because of them and my parents, I was shown the value of education. While I didn’t always understand or appreciate education or the do this / do that approach to things, I eventually did embrace it, and I was able to teach myself by learning to observe what others did and by absorbing information and education experience because of it. In addition, I was supported by many colleagues and peers in the educational world to be allowed to educate other people to the value of writing. I can’t begin to state what that means to me. Teaching and being taught are great things. Embrace knowledge in all that you do.
In an ideal world, I would list lots of names, and they would be definitive with regard to who has helped me along the way. However, I know that I’ll forget people, so rather than try to be all-inclusive here, I’ll thank all of my friends from those who were there with me during the awkward and lonely high school years, the wild ride of the Loft days, my time in the Air Force, the England experience, the post-England college time (which began twenty years before the day this book was originally released), and the last fifteen years of my life, which have been involved in being an educator, hiking, traveling, and living life while listening to great music, experiencing movies, reading books, and embracing an America that I almost left.
For all of the mistakes I’ve made, the dumb things I’ve done, and the bad choices I’ve made along the way, my family and friends have stuck with me to get to this place. I appreciate that. I must also say that I still can’t believe that I have a wife who would embrace my eccentricity and rough around the edges nature to still be here for me, nearly 9 years after our first memorable date. Like Lou Gehrig, I’m the luckiest man of the face of the earth to have someone who’ll let a major undertaking like this book series happen.
Also, in whatever came my way, I always found great people to influence and inspire me. One of those people was MaryAnn Schaefer, who edited this book and provided writing advice to me. I am very very grateful to her for that. I’m also very thankful that she allowed me to have a couple of Air Force / England Thanksgivings with her, her husband Bill, and her daughters Sky and Nicki all those years ago. I can’t begin to explain what they meant to a young guy 3,000 miles from home on the holidays.
In this writing endeavor, many of you will choose to help me either by advertising or buying this book. You will read my works and provide constructive criticism. You will inspire me while I keep working on the Blackrock Canyon series, which is well over 500 pages at this point in four different books. I think it has a couple thousand to go, but that’s just me. THANK YOU!!!!
I look forward to entertaining you along the way. Hopefully, I’ll even inspire some of you to embrace your own creativity, which would be awesome to see all of the Dylans and Lydias of the world to take a keyboard to bang out their stories. The world is your oyster. Do what you have to do. It’s go time. Where would we be without writing or the oral tradition or petroglyphs?
Thanks for reading and supporting my art. Dan.

You guys and gals are awesome. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment